Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Last 27 Days of Being 27: 2012 Olympics--Here I Come!

When I was in high school and college, the most athletic thing I did was "social walking" at the YMCA and the occasional peer-pressure induced spin class at Bally's with Brittany. So, since I have NEVER done anything even remotely like what I did today, I HAD SO MUCH FUN! I learned how to "throw the hammer", which--for anyone who is not acquainted with track and field events--is an 8 pound ball (for girls) or a 16 pound ball (for boys) attached to a wire and you swing it around and around and then spin and throw it! Crazy! Read on to see how my adventure for the day unfolded! (Also, I learned that if you stick your tongue out and bite it, you can throw further LOL...see below photo!)



My good friend, Vince Huitt, took on the task of being my Coach for the day. I had a lot of fun and Vince was really patient--I know that I am not the most coordinated human being in the world, so it was no small feat teaching me how to throw this thing. Vince is awesome and he goes to school at Cal Poly Pomona and is currently improving his throwing distances with the hopes of qualifying to go to the 2012 Olympic trials. I can't wait to say that I know an Olympic athlete--because I KNOW that he is going to accomplish his goals .


Check him out! He's buff, he's tough, and he can throw this freaking thing SO FAR! It's seriously crazy!


I love any sport or activity that has "swag" (as the kids say these days) aka this AWESOME glove-situation. When I asked Vince what I should wear to "throw", he told me tights and a crop top---so this was my compromise. :)


Honestly people, I was surprised (and I think Coach Vince was as well) with the fact that I did not do TOO badly. Really! He says I was a "good student" (that's a direct quote, my friends!) Vince says that I looked like a real "thrower" with my crazy pony-tail and "serious calves"....neither of those things sound too promising, but all the same I'm pretty sure he meant them as a compliment :) (Right, Vince??)


So what I learned today with my adventure is that something that looks really difficult is not AS difficult as I thought and with the proper coaching (Thanks Coach Vince!) anything is possible! I think that with practice and dedication, I could get better! We'll see what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment