Thursday, April 5, 2012

The Last 27 Days of Being 27: Skate or Die, Dude

Just when I think I know someone, I realize that people are like onions: many many many layers. My dad, Phil Davis, is the most multi-layered onion of all! For reals. Upon my announcement that my challenge for the day was to pursue my dream of being a "skater chick", my dad said "Oh, I'll teach you, I used to skate all the time." For some reason, I had no idea that he knew how to do this. My mom was quick to corroborate his story, and voila! A mentor was born! The coolest thing about my dad is that as his job, he is Director for the Downey Unified School District (which means he is a boss of a lot of people), but he refuses to allow someone else to mow the lawn (he can do it best, he was a landscaper at one time in his life), he leads worship at church (he was a music major in college...NOT P.E. as many people would assume about him), he rides a Harley (such a bad-ass), and one of his favorite movies is "The Notebook" (such a softie). This man is an onion. And just when I think I know him, he takes off on a skateboard down the street. My dad is definitely cooler than yours. Hands down.



Check him out. He discouraged me from trying to learn how to skate because he knows (from years of experience) that I am probably one of the most uncoordinated people around. He told me "Don't fall, that's how I got this crack in my ass!" (such a comedian) He's so cool. For reals.



Watch out Tony Hawk! Big Phil is coming to dominate! (sidenote: my mom was FREAKING out the whole entire time this "lesson" was going on)



Every year, one of my summer goals is to learn how to ride a skateboard, and every year it does not happen. So, when I found this abandoned skateboard in Bear Alley at work (it was there for 3 days--finder's keeper's, right??) I knew that it was a SIGN. The time had come to me to learn to skate. Because I am extremely uncoordinated, I was very nervous to get on the board, but with the help of my dad (see below photos) I was able to {sort of} get my skate on.



Look at me go! My goal is seriously to be able to use a skateboard as a form of transportation. My friend Colleen Sharpe--who I went to high school and college with--is one of the coolest chicks I know and she knows how to skateboard (or at least she did!) and I always wanted to be like her. There is just something so awesome about a girl participating in what is usually a male-dominated activity, right? I eventually gave up trying to stand up and just sat down and rolled down the driveway :)



Lesson Learned:
1. Talk to your parents; they are full of secrets, information, life experiences, etc. that you might not otherwise know about if you don't ask them about themselves. I mean, who knew that my dad was a "skater-boy"?

2. Protective gear is no joke. I think if I had a helmet, I would be more daring. Note to self: buy a helmet.

3. Stop putting things off! Take the road less traveled. Be adventurous--it makes you more interesting--then when you're at a dinner party, you have more to talk about than what you do for a living (yawn....so boring!) Be the kind of person that you would like to have a conversation with.

No comments:

Post a Comment