Monday, April 2, 2012

The Last 27 Days of Being 27: Hey Batter Batter Batter Batterrrrr!!!!

You may or may not know that I played ONE SINGLE SOLITARY GLORIOUS season of softball (Downey Ponytail to be exact) waaaaaaay back when. Well, as one can imagine, because I decided to "pick up" a sport at such a late age (6th grade), everyone else was better than me. I probably played a total of 3 innings the entire season and I don't think that I ever actually hit the ball. As an adult, I was famously overlooked for the faculty softball team due to my lack of skill, and as you can totally tell, I am 100% over it! Hahah :) But seriously, in my endeavor to become a more well-rounded 27/28 year old, I decided that the time had come for me to get back on the field---or the cage in this case. I grabbed my pal Scott--who LOVES baseball--and we headed over to All Star Park in Bellflower.



Here he is: Coach Scott. Even though at first he acted like he wasn't going to have fun and that he thought this was so ridiculous, by the end of the evening HE was thanking ME for asking him to take me to do this :) I'm so good. Scott showed me some "stances", some "swings", and how to figure out where I should stand next to the plate (I sound so official, right?)


We started off at the 50mph cage and then eventually moved over to the 60mph cage. Watch out! Check out my stance....I'm a natural--Coach Scott told me so! Coach Scott kept yelling things like: "Keep your eye on the ball!", "That's not your pitch!", and "Stop lunging for the ball!"...and I was taken right back to being the worst player on my 12 year old pony-tail team. The difference? This time I was having fun and my coach did not have a mullet and cigarette hanging from his lips. :)


Coach Scott and I had a nice talk about why I am doing this--I kept mentioning some of my possible adventures that I will be having in the upcoming weeks and he told me--more than once, "Oh that's not THAT fun" about one of my challenges or another--and here's the thing people: the whole point of this challenge is so that I can say, FROM EXPERIENCE, that something is "Not that fun"...I don't want to just take someones word on it. Does that make sense? The batting cages were most definitely fun and I would love to go back again sometime.


Sidenote: All of the these things that I am doing would, coincidentally, be really fun dates! So, boys take note: the best kinds of dates are the ones that are organic--do something that you think is fun, don't overthink or overplan or try to be overly impressive. The right kind of girl will appreciate similar things to you. If a boy took me to the batting cages and out for a beer on a first date, I would definitely go on a second date with him! Oh! And P.S. "group food" aka sushi, Thai, etc...where you have to work as a team to order and share and eat...always fun as well! :)

Cheers to the Last 27 Days of Being 27!

No comments:

Post a Comment