Friday, April 6, 2012

The Last 27 Days of Being 27: 21 Jump Street's Newest Cop = ME



I have a lot of friends who are teachers. But I only have one single solitary friend who is an Officer of the Law. He's a for real, legitimate, badge carrying Police Officer--and today he taught me how to shoot a gun. And let me tell you, it was AWESOME. I was kind of afraid at first, because if you would have seen the other people who were also "practicing" shooting their guns, you would have been worried about the safety of the general public as well. But, because I NOW have been properly trained on how to use a gun, I feel safer. Not that I'm going to start carrying a gun or anything absurd like that, but now I know what to expect and how it all works! So here's my adventure....if you direct your attention to the above photo, you will see the difference between MY aim and MARK'S aim...let me remind you, HE is a PROFESSIONAL--it's his job to be perfect. :)



Here's what I shot...there's something kind of weird about a gun just sitting on a kitchen table, right? It just doesn't seem kosher. Before Mark even let me touch the gun I had to learn the basics. What are these basics, you ask?

1. Don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

2. Don't point the gun at anything you're not absolutely 100% sure you are ready to kill.

3. Always point the gun downrange

4. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, arms straight out, be surprised every time you pull the trigger

5. You're not allowed to wear your prom dress to the shooting range. (I'm pretty sure that was just Mark's rule after I told him that's what I wanted to wear, but the only other girl that was there was actually dressed like a man, so a prom dress would be totally inappropriate...I guess!)



We went to a shooting range in Artesia (who knew that was even there???) I got to wear ear protector thingies that blocked out the sound of the guns, a pair of protective eye glasses (so attractive), and my colored denim (duh!). This was my most favorite (and also most stressful) target to shoot at---Mark let me shoot like 175 rounds in total---and unfortunately if I would have really been in a hostage situation, I would have killed the hostage. Dang. Sorry Lady. Mark, of course, was able to shoot the guy right between the eyes...I don't know how he does it. Knowing him, he probably figured out the physics of it all and has calculated the trajectory of a bullet based off of wind speeds, etc. etc. etc. Such a nerd :) All in all, I did not do as badly as I expected myself to do. I actually hit the target and I think I took my Coach's critique of my form fairly well. AND, most importantly (as Mark says) I don't have any bad habits to break, so I can only get better!



You know, I am so fortunate to have so many awesome friends. Officer Caswell is good people. I know that I can count on him for ANYTHING---from birthday cake candles, to helping catch the stupid kid who stole my cell phone, to a rousing game of beer pong, to being willing to teach me (the most uncoordinated girl in the world, who should not be allowed anywhere near a firearm) how to shoot a gun. He's awesome and I really do feel safe knowing that he is out there "serving and protecting" (especially on Thursday's when he is the Officer on campus at Warren lol). Also, as my "Coach" for this adventure, he told me that I did "just as well as he expected me to do"....which I'm not sure if that means that I did badly and that's what he expected OR if I did okay and that's what he expected...hmmmm....



So, thank YOU Officer Caswell for indulging my gun adventure and fulfilling one of my 27 days of adventures. Miss Davis appreciates being the student and letting you be the teacher. You're the bomb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment